|What is Oracle Exadata Cloud Service?|
|Features of Oracle Exadata Cloud Service|
|Oracle Exadata Cloud Service Technical Specifications Comparison|
Databases are part of the core fundamental component of any organization IT structure apart from hardware, networking, applications, and storage. Database is the powerhouse for data/information of the organization but what about its availability, scalability, and management, getting analytics 100x faster, migration of application workloads to cloud using few clicks, elimination of manual dev/test integration in cloud, scaling dev/test and data warehouse environment to any size any time, instant access to extreme data management performance and so on. Ever thought of imaging databases running over cloud and giving all what we wish for?
This article will talk about Oracle Exadata cloud service from Oracle, how it is deployed and its features and use cases etc.
What is Oracle Exadata Cloud Service?
Oracle Exadata cloud service delivers the world’s best cloud database platform. It enables customers to run oracle databases in the cloud.
It is meant for customers who want to run mission critical databases in a public cloud and utilize the offsite nature of the cloud for disaster recovery purposes. Databases deployed on Exadata are 100% compatible with existing on premises databases which are deployed in oracle public cloud.
Customer requests Exadata service on Oracle cloud portal with system size, database name, versions etc. Pricing is based on database CPU cores enabled. Oracle database and Exadata software include all options and features and customer manages and controls the software which directly impacts their application – database, Operating system and clusterware.
Oracle manages the underlying infrastructure such as storage, servers, storage software, networking, firmware, hypervisor etc. customers have administrative privileges for compute Virtual machines (VMs), and databases so they can configure and run the system, customers can initiate automated patching script as per their convenience, can be run rolling across nodes to avoid downtime for databases.
All Exadata features full data protection, consistency, transactional isolation, fully active RAC cluster, Triple mirrored storage, redundant InfiniBand, and Ethernet networks. The backups can be scheduled as per requirement however the default schedule is weekly level 0 backups + daily incremental backups which can be configured at the time of provisioning.
Features of Oracle Exadata Cloud Service
- Elimination of need to maintain non-production IT infrastructure
- Enablement of quick provisioning of production like databases to address requirements of time sensitive large scale business requirements
- Enablement of consolidation of multiple databases into a single robust platform
- Eliminate need of maintaining DR infrastructure with elastic availability of DR site with standby database
- Offsite DR location compliance to regulations
- Active data guard standby database to enable cloud-based reporting
- Consolidation of multiple standby databases into robust platform
- Ultra-fast transactions using DB optimized flash logging algorithms
- Physical migration byte by byte copy
- Logical migration allows reorganization and optimization – data pump and golden gate replication
- Comprehensive security measures in hardware, network, Exadata platform and Oracle databases (TDE, DB vault, TLS) and data safe
- Database consolidation
- Disaster recovery
- In memory analytics
- Zero tolerant mission critical applications
Oracle Exadata Cloud Service Technical Specifications Comparison
Each Exadata cloud service instance has a predefined number of Exadata database server nodes and a predefined number of Exadata server nodes. It is available in three configurations as under.
Databases deployed on Exadata are 100% compatible with on premises oracle databases and existing applications which help organizations to easily embark on a cloud strategy and leverage cloud computing benefits without going through a complex process.
All hardware and software associated with Exadata cloud machines are managed and maintained by Oracle cloud operations, so customers can focus on application and business logic required for core business and help them to accelerate time to market, increased availability and reduction in business risk.