Table of Contents
Global cloud computing market size is growing at a very rapid pace and expected to reach $1143.2 Billion by 2028. This includes all services provided by cloud providers including computing, networking, processes, software, infrastructure, management, security and any other services offered by cloud.
Cloud computing offers a lot to businesses but to get most out of it, they need to look beyond ‘cloud first’ approach. They need to focus on cloud centers of excellence to manage all activities related to IT related services and workloads which run on public cloud.
Today in this article we will look at the concept of CloudOps, its history, benefits and use cases etc.
What is CloudOps?
CloudOps is a short form of Cloud Operations, it is related to optimization of IT services and workloads which run in the public cloud. CloudOps looks at ongoing refinement of business processes and methods for optimization of flexibility, availability, and efficiency of cloud services to execute businesses successfully.
It is a discipline to adapt IT infrastructure management to DevOps practices. It facilitates agile delivery and smooth functioning of cloud-based IT services. It delivers optimal performance levels which meets the customer requirements. Cloud Ops ensure a high degree of availability, security compliance etc. and also keep a check on operational costs.
Cloud centre of excellence is a hotbed for innovation and a hatchery for agility. Cloud COEs define solution requirements, optimization of processes and management of daily cloud operations to enable agility which is actual the challenge.
Cloud Platforms Offer a Set of Features:
- Able to scale out – expansion of capacity at any time. Auto provisioning of servers
- Stateless and distributed – operations must adjust to management which span the world
- Infrastructure agnostic – abstraction of underlying infrastructure from platform and applications
- Location transparent – management of location consistently
- Latency tolerance – operate and manage cloud using same attribute
- Loosely coupled – common services are shared over cloud but not bound together
- Data that is shared is replicated and distributed – CloudOps relies on continuous operations. Having capability to run cloud-based systems in such a way to attain zero downtime target
How does CloudOps work?
Benefits of CloudOps
Using CloudOps along with DevOps provide several advantages such as speed, scalability and productivity. Some of the benefits of CloudOps are:
- Scalability – Virtualization technology is used in cloud infrastructure allows to quickly setup new servers, more storage, processing power, or any other services in demand. The built-in monitoring tools help to monitor key performance metrics and system is fine tuned accordingly while enhancing flexibility and scalability.
- Less errors, Less latency – Cloud-based infrastructure has low latency and less error prone due to its inherent flexibility and scalability capability
- Redundancy – Data and applications cloning could happen on multiple servers or locations to offer availability and redundancy. In a cloud computing environment data and applications are stored in multiple storage devices and diverse locations to have redundant failure infrastructure and avoid single point of failure. This helps in simplification of backup and Disaster recovery management.
- Automation – Using IaC (infrastructure as a code) technologies more than one automated function can be used to create infrastructure, provisioning, deployment, monitoring, and implement changes based on set thresholds or key performance metrics and creation of self-healing systems.
- Availability – Active-active networks and replication at application and database level resulting in less downtime / outages impacting cloud environments.
- Optimized Performance and Capacity – Cloud provides proper resource and performance management irrespective of location or provider to speed up business changes and processes.
- Cost Effective – Management of local data centres , networks and DR centres is expansive for any organization. CloudOps provides on demand resources and pay as you go option to reduce cost and provide flexibility and scalability to scale resources on demand.
- Increased Security – CloudOps brings best practices of security and compliance as part of cloud adoption.
CloudOps is considered an essential ingredient for transformation of digitization. It helps organizations to get competitive advantage over its competitors in delivery software products and services in a flicker of time, cost effective manner, flexibility and secure cloud environment.