Table of Contents
Introduction to Private Cloud
The cloud computing environment, which is dedicated to a single organization is known as the Private Cloud. It’s also known as the corporate cloud or internal cloud. In this environment, all software and hardware resources are exclusively dedicated to a single organization or customer. This single customer can only access all the hardware and software of this cloud. Customers chose the private cloud because they want to host it on-premises in their data center. Independent cloud providers also provide infrastructure to host the cloud services in an offsite data center on a rent basis.
In this article, we will learn about types of private clouds.
Types of Private Cloud
A private cloud can be classified by many ways, but based on the cloud environment, hosted premises of software and hardware, and cloud service provider, it is classified into four different types.
Below are the types of a private cloud:
- Managed Private Cloud
- Virtual Private cloud
- Hosted private cloud
- On-Premise Private Cloud
Many cloud service providers support three major types of private cloud services: Managed Private Cloud, Virtual Private Cloud, and Hosted private cloud.
Managed Private Cloud
Managed private cloud is a type of cloud service which is managed by a third-party vendor. This vendor is only responsible for hardware used in the server. This managed private cloud architecture uses the approach where a single instance of software runs on a cloud server. This single instance runs for one single customer. The customer provides their software and the third-party vendor provides hardware to host the software. This model supports a single-tenant environment.
It fulfills the basic need of private cloud computing. The organization requires dedicated infrastructure and services for their cloud computing requirement. It helps to run a business as usual (BAU) in any crisis or critical situation, and control over their resources 24X7 in a week. It also provides better security, where the client needs their data and information should be more secured.
In many cases, the client does not want to share their data out of their premises or data should not spread to some specific location. In this scenario managed private cloud is the best solution to implement.
Managed private cloud model,
- does not allow to share the server with any other customer and is also hosted on-premises of the client/customer data center.
- It is easy to deploy and integrate their application, services, and customized software in the dedicated private cloud environment.
- reduces the maintenance cost to manage the resources and infrastructure by third-party outsourcing by the managed cloud provider.
Virtual Private Cloud
A virtual private cloud is a type of private cloud which is hosted within the public cloud. It’s an on-demand configuration that is implemented as isolated for one customer on shared infrastructure. Managed private cloud is a single-tenant model whereas virtual private cloud supports multi-tenant architecture.
This private cloud model is secure and isolated hosted on the public cloud.
- The organization can build, implement and execute its application, host customized software, website, and services in this environment.
- The data can also be stored in a virtual private cloud.
- The customer can do anything as they can do in a private cloud environment, as per their requirement.
- It’s a type of model which is supported by any public cloud provider that configures a private cloud-like environment on shared infrastructure.
All the public cloud service providers provide support and services on the virtual private cloud.
Hosted Private Cloud
Hosted Private Cloud is a type of private cloud which is hosted off-premise instead of the customer on premise. In this cloud computing method, the cloud servers are not physically configured and installed on the customer’s physical location.
In this model,
- Third-party vendors host and manage services in cloud servers remotely.
- A dedicated server is used to host the customer services and applications into the cloud.
- Many public service vendors provide services on the hosted private cloud.
- In this environment, the application and server are accessible by a single organization.
- As this model is implemented in the public cloud, infrastructure costs are less compared to other private cloud models.
On Premise Private cloud
On premise private cloud is also a type of cloud computing model. When an organization avails services in their premises, then
- The infrastructure and application are hosted on-premises
- Data is stored in organizations physical location where cloud infrastructure is located.
- This cloud environment helps customers to build and deploy applications and services in a secure and dedicated cloud-based environment.
Private cloud is always reserved for a single customer in a secure dedicated environment. The types of private cloud are differentiated based on the infrastructure and services used in the model.
Comparison Table: Types of Private Cloud
Below table summarizes the differences between the four types of private cloud:
|Hosted premises||on-premise||within the public cloud||off-premise||on-premise|
|Infrastructure||dedicated infrastructure||shared infrastructure||dedicated infrastructure||dedicated infrastructure|
|Type of Environment||single-tenant model||multi-tenant architecture||third-party vendor||dedicated cloud-based|
|Support by Cloud Service Provider||Supported||Supported||Supported||Not Applicable|
Download the Comparison table: Types of Private Cloud